Saturday, October 5, 2013

Correction - Corrective Surgery

I've sincerely appreciated all of the validation and support since I posted yesterday about Monday's cosmetic surgery. Every word and "like" has helped build my confidence in my decision. There's one Facebook reply that I have to copy here, though:

"Elizabeth R... - Shari, I hope no one in the medical field made you feel this surgery was cosmetic. It's corrective, not cosmetic. It's not just about visual symmetry or having smaller boobs (both awesome reasons to have it done, btw); it's about the fact that the original surgery had a complication and you are correcting the outcome. You have an asymmetry and scar tissue, both of which could contribute to problems in the future (referred pain, muscle tension, neck and back pain). The PT in me is relieved you made this decision and knows that Practical Shari rocks! The friend in me hopes you treat yourself as kindly as I know you would treat me if things were reversed."

So lookie there! I have a new name for the surgery! I'm having "corrective surgery" on Monday. So much less guilt involved.

In answer to Liz's question, none of my surgeons ever gave me a name for this surgery. In the beginning with the cancer diagnosis, appointments were made for me with many different kinds of doctors for tests, surgeries, and treatment plans. Now that the cancer is (supposedly and hopefully) gone, I have to take the initiative. I call the plastic surgeon. I call for a second opinion. I check with the radiation oncologist to make sure it's safe. I call the surgery scheduler. Therefore, it feels elective, and since the doctor is a plastic surgeon, it felt cosmetic.

Now that I know it's CORRECTIVE, and because of all of the offers I've received, I'm ready to accept a little help during my recovery. Liz and Liz (one from above and the same team from last year) have updated my Meal Train with a few more dates. Here's the link. I'll keep everyone posted if any other needs come up.

Thanks again for all of the support and friendship!

1 comment:

  1. Your meal trains a-comin' Thursday. I hope my ridiculously fattening mac and cheese brings you some comfort. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery from Kristin and I.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete