Sunday, March 25, 2012

Planning Ahead

Tomorrow and Tuesday both have important, life-changing appointments, first with Dr. Cooper (surgeon) to get the pathology report telling where that cancer was/is in my body, then to Dr. Kirshner (oncologist) to find out what we're going to do about it. Both Paul and I are anxious beyond words, not only because we could hear some more yucky news, but because we have been just sitting around for a month waiting for these appointments. (Yeah, there was a major surgery in the middle, but that has no affect on our futures.)

So right now, since I feel like I need to be doing something, I'm planning out the spring and summer for the girls. We are certain there will be chemo, based on the lymph nodes they already found, so I know that I won't be my usual active, fun, getting-down-and-dirty-with-the-kids Mom that I usually am. So how can I keep them from noticing the change in me? Buy them a swing set! I'm doing some serious calculating with our bank accounts, some Craigslist searching, and some brainstorming about manly-men who can help Paul move and build one. Maybe by next weekend, the girls will have a park in their own backyard.

Also, I signed the girls up for two 2-week sessions of Camp Iroquois (day camp) for the summer before this whole breast cancer thing came about. Now I'm thinking that I can double that and have the kids at day camp all summer. More bank account finagling, but it'll give me every morning for eight weeks with a break from 9-noon. I think a Mom going through chemotherapy deserves that, right?

With those ideas, plus with all of the childcare help we've been offered from local friends, I'm getting more and more confident that at the end of this whole experience, the kids will think it was the Best Breast Cancer Ever, too.

Aside, in case you're wondering, I still have the awful drains in, but I made it to see The Lorax at Carousel Mall yesterday and to the Dome today for Syracuse vs. Villanova lacrosse. Lots of sitting on my booty involved in those activities, but it's a step in the right direction. I sometimes even forget to take my pain meds, but after about 6-8 hours, I definitely notice the difference, so we'll continue those for a little longer. Paul goes back to work tomorrow and the girls are prepared that I'm still going to need their help, so I'm sure we'll be okay.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be thinking about you and sending you positive thoughts today and tomorrow. No matter the news, you can handle it with the same grace and strength that you have had since you got the first bad news. And your friends are here to support you through anything. Sending you hugs!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete